Congratulations on your new pet! Puppies and kittens are filled with love, excitement, and curiosity. Every new pet will bring a mixture of enthusiastic affection and intense curiosity about the world. It is our job as caregivers to encourage their love while protecting them from the dangers around them.
We need to teach puppies and kittens which toys are for chewing and which are not. And we need to make sure they stay safe by not getting lost or eating things that could harm them. While it is important to keep an eye on their behavior at all times, it is also important to monitor their physical health right from the start, to make sure that they are setting out on a healthy path forward.
What to Expect at Your First Appointment
Once you’ve had your new puppy or kitten for a couple of days, we recommend you set up an appointment with a veterinarian to get started on a wellness plan for your new pet. Your first checkup at North Hills Veterinary Clinic will include:
- A comprehensive physical examination of your puppy or kitten. (If you have any medical papers or adoption papers, please bring those with you.)
- Your puppy or kitten’s first vaccinations, along with a plan for future vaccinations that makes sense for your new pet
- Testing for intestinal parasites and de-worming
- Testing for viruses in kittens such as feline leukemia and feline immunodeficiency virus
- Discussion about nutrition for your pet
- Discussion about behavior modification techniques
- Information about microchipping your pet for his or her safety
Our Commitment to You
The veterinarians and staff at North Hills Veterinary Clinic will be with you every step of the way, from your pet’s first weeks through their golden years. We are committed to making sure pets live happy, healthy lives and that pet owners have all the tools and knowledge they need to take the best care possible of their pet.